Marissa Bridge

 

 


Flower for Detained Children

In 2018, I was thinking about what to do for my first large 3-D flower piece. I was scaling up from a 6” x 6” panel to a 24” x 24” one. My Buddhist practice compelled me to create something that would make positive change in the world.  The news coming from the US border with Mexico was devastating, and I decided to do something for the children in the detention centers in Texas, the children that have been separated from their parents, placed in cages, and who have suffered terribly. I want them to know that someone is thinking about them, someone is sending them love and hope in the form of a white flower.

Do I think those children will ever see this piece?  I hope so, but it’s ok if they can’t. The intention is there. If the public sees it when it is displayed, they will know that I made this because I care about those children and their mistreatment by the US government. My share of the proceeds from the sale of this artwork will be donated to the Women’s Refugee Commission.

Comments